Monday, April 30, 2007

A little bit about algebra...

I hate algebra. I've failed it twice and gotten a D once. The D didn't transfer to a different school, so I had to take it again. So far so good, I'll probably end up with a high B or a low A...until we get to word problems a.k.a. problem solving. I SUCK at problem solving. I'm REALLY good at solving for x. Or y. Or n or whatever variable you want as long as you give me the equation and don't make me formulate it on my own. But if you tell me that the speed of a boat in still water is 5mph and then you want me to figure out how fast the current is if it goes upstream in a certain amount of time, then downstream faster in the same amount of time, then screw you. Buy a speedometer for your frickin boat or get a GPS unit. Same with Angi and her brother raking leaves, because Angi can do it pretty fast, but her brother takes more than twice as long, so how long does it take them together, fire the brother and have Angi do it faster in the first place. GAWD!!!

This was my last test until the final, which is a week from tomorrow. I'm sure the final will piss me off because I can do all of the practice homework, but then he screws with a question and makes you find a variable you haven't done before. In theory, if you have all of the known quantities and the equation, it should be easy to come up with the answer. But since I won't have the equation, I'm screwed. My next class is problem solving, which will be 6 LONG weeks of word problems where I have to figure out how to formulate the equation in order to get the answer. I.Can't.Do.That. I'll be SO glad when I'm done with these damn math classes. Thank god Bill is smart and can help me with the online tests and hopefully I can get enough of the final done solving for x (or whatever) to keep a decent grade in that stupid class.

No comments: